It’s in Your Head

A poorly functioning head can make even the finest outing awful. Hose permeation, leaking clamps, clogged toilets – these are all problems that every boater dreads. And when I tackled this project, my desire was to create a fresh as possible new head (bathroom as the whole) for us.

I’m posting this mainly for new boat owners who may be dredging the task of rebuilding their head pump. I’m telling you, it’s easier than you think.

Fortunately, the boat didn’t come with a foul-smelling head. But what we did have where old parts to our manual toilet that didn’t flush well, so meant it needed an overhaul.

Before I dove into an overhaul, I did visit options we looked into further while the toilet was out of the head; do we want to switch to Electric, Compost, or continue with the current Manual.

Electric Toilets are more compact, reliable, and less expensive than ever, and if you’re ready to make the switch – easy to install. Compost is popular but we were not keen on carrying the supply of peat moss or the such. Though, I would be more incline to have a compost toilet in family home. Manual Toilets remain popular because they’re simple, have only a few easily accessible parts, and require no amp usage.

We went with our current manual toilet and overhauled the working parts, and spruced up the underside as well. I ordered the rebuild kit for our Raitan PHII (~ $60) and followed an amazing video (free) that walked me through rebuilding the pump system. I removed the pump system from the toilet unit. No sound, no words, just a methodical step by step process to rebuilding. So so easy. I’d do it again when it’s time.

There isn’t much out on the internet for simple instructions but I included what I found; an informative and simple video to follow. Start the video, lay all your parts out as in the video, and follow along pausing as needed. you can complete the rebuild in ~30 minutes and back on the toilet unit by 40 minutes.

Place hold for the unit while working on bilge area.
The pump in the blue circle is what I took off and rebuilt.
Part two of the project.

While rebuilding the pump system, I also removed the floor board the toilet sits on and clean the years of crud. I used a combination of water, cleaning vinegar and tea tree oil. The oil helps prevent the development of mold spurs. In fact, this application is good anywhere mold wants to grow. Next, I applied two coat of Kilts paint. Looks like new and we have a clean start.

I’d love to hear how it worked out for you. Give a reply and share any additional information or tips I can include in this post to others can benefit too.

Remember – it’s all in the head.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s